Hopefully you got to check out our FREE training last weekend The Sandtray Shift: Healing in the New Normal.
This training was packed with tons of into about how to go about practicing sandray in this "new normal" world we are all living in, and struggles you may be facing with coronavirus fears and concerns for the safety of yourself and your clients, as you move back into face-to-face visits.
One of the aspects of the training that we wanted to focus on was what the CDC has stated regarding how the virus is spread.
According to the CDC:
"The virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Spread is more likely when people are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)."
So, what about sand and surfaces?? Is it safe for for our clients to use the sandtray yet???
The CDC goes on to state:
"However, it may be possible that people can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads"
So, while there is a chance that exposure could occur via surfaces, it is much more likely to be transferred from person-to-person simply by talking, coughing, or sneezing in the same vicinity with someone infected with COVID-19.
With that in mind, we want to encourage common-sense sanitizing practices such as:
- washing hands/sanitizing before and after sandtray session
- allowing time in between sessions to sanitize miniatures and sand using these helpful sanitizing techniques from Jurrasic Sand
- use of individual sandtrays/sets of miniatures for each individual client (when possible), in order to reduce exposure with higher risk clients
- use of masks and social distancing - and here's a really great article about different types of transparent masks, why they are awesome, and where to get them!
Wondering about Brain Fog and why simple things like making decisions and staying connected are becoming SO difficult?
- Check out Dr. Bruce Perry's COVID-19 Stress, Distress, & Trauma Series
Feeling burned out?
- Check out this awesome webinar series promoting emotional well-being for healthcare providers provided by UCSF Weill Institute for Neurosciences
Need some help from technology?
- Here's an amazing list of Apps that you can utilize, or suggest to clients, family, or friends, to help manage mental health conditions that may be worsening due to isolation or limited access to resources (anxiety, PTSD, insomnia, stress, etc) during the pandemic
That's it for today!
Don't forget to come join the discussion in The Sandtray Movement FREE facebook group. We love hearing from you!
Til next time,
- The Southern Sandtray Team